Sunday, April 18, 2010

17. Extreme Industrial Scarring

This industrial is about 6 months old, and apparently this scarring has been around for most of its life. She said she didn't take the advice of the piercer, and began to remove the jewelry after a couple weeks, once every other day for school sports, because she had to. She says "I'm sure that's what caused the bumps, but lately it is so painful all of the time, when I take it out or when I sleep. I've had piercers say I should take it out, but I don't want to! I love my piercing!"

This is probably some of the worst scarring I have ever seen on an industrial piercing in person. Despite everything I said to her while she was in my shop, she left here with the jewelry in and will probably continue to not take care of it. Even if the jewelry was removed, I don't think this scarring will dissipate much, if at all. But by leaving the jewelry in, it's likely her scarring will continue to grow. It's unfortunate to see something like this, as it makes the industry look bad.

This is what happens when you disregard the aftercare of a professional and don't take care of your healing piercing. Ear piercings can be sensitive and proper aftercare should be given. There is a reason why we tell you to not move or remove the jewelry for a certain period of time. Severe scarring and/or keloiding can happen to anyone who takes advantage of a fragile piercing.

No comments:

Post a Comment